Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crochet: Granny Squares

Granny Squares. Something I've wanted to try for a long time, but didn't think that I could, so I talked myself out of it before every trying. I am a self-taught crocheter and haven't been very brave in trying new things. A few weeks ago, I found this tutorial on Ravelry. If you like/love to knit and/or crochet, and don't know about Ravelry, please leave this page immediately and go sign up (it's free!). It is a yarn-lover's paradise. Thousands of patterns. Some have a price tag attached, but so many are freely shared as well. This Granny Square tutorial is a free Ravelry download.

After reading through the tutorial several times, I jumped in and gave it a try. This is what my first attempt at a Granny Square looked like:

I was thrilled with how it turned out!

I used cotton, and once I got the hang of it, added a few more rows/rounds, and will use it as a hot pad.

I had a few friends on Facebook that were starting a private group called The Granny Square Exchange, and I wanted to participate. It was great motivation for me! We each make 8 squares a month, using the same pattern, and at the end of the year, we'll each have 48 squares to turn into an afghan.

This was the first square I made for July's exchange.



Finished! Over the weekend, I made all 8 squares. I love how they look together. : -)


What have you tried lately that you didn't think you could do?

~ Thanks for stopping by! ~

Jaime

3 comments:

  1. Those are great! Good job. I just did that with Rag Quilts. I really want to try to do a "real" quilt, but I'm working up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandie! Making a Rag Quilt is on my always-growing-longer to-do list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't particularly like the colors, but all together, they are eye-catching and go well. Good job there.

    ReplyDelete