Monday, March 7, 2011

I Can Finally Say, "I Like Cabbage!" (Recipe)

I've never cared for cabbage. The taste was bad enough....but the SMELL while it was cooking? Blech. Enter dilemma. My Fiancee loves cabbage. Plus, I shouldn't force my dislikes for certain vegetables affect my daughter....she loves most foods, and she shouldn't be deprived of eating cabbage, regardless of how it affects my nose. Sooooo....last weekend, while grocery shopping, I decided to take the plunge and put a head of cabbage in the cart. That's a great first step, but now what to do with it? Plain boiled cabbage seems so unappealing, and I did want to try and overcome some of my childhood aversions to veggies. I went online, looked at TONS of cabbage recipes, and finally found something that made me say, "that sounds REALLY good!". Huh. Never thought I'd ever say that. Anyway, you can find the original recipe here, but I am going to share the recipe with you, with my adjustments to it.

CABBAGE CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
1 head cabbage, cut into large pieces
1 pound lean ground turkey (brown and season with Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle & Fiesta Lime, Onion Powder, Sage, and a pinch of Cayenne Pepper)
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup - Next time I am going to try Cream of Celery (lots of other options as well...mix it up!)
Approx. 2 cups of Mexican 4 cheese blend shredded cheese

Directions:
Place cabbage in large saucepan (original recipe called for 4 qt. saucepan, but wasn't quite big enough), add water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook until done (took about a half hour for me...but I'm not the best judge of when cabbage is done :-).

While the cabbage is cooking (oh yeah, I forgot to mention to turn on all your Scentsy warmers before cooking the cabbage....helps cancel out SOME of the smell), brown your turkey, and add your choice of seasonings.

Now comes the layering part. I used a 4.6 qt baking dish (it's the next size up from a 13x9 dish). Layer half the cabbage, half the beef, half the soup and half the cheese. Repeat. Cover baking dish, and cook at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.

_____________________________________

We had this as the Main Course the first night I made it, and had it as a side dish for 2 nights after that. Who knew? I like cabbage! Okay, I don't like it all by itself, but it is still a victory for me. I don't think I would have liked this recipe if I hadn't seasoned the turkey. That made such a difference! I hope all of you cabbage haters out there will be willing to give it a try. I'm glad I did!

~ Thanks for stopping by! ~

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment