Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tutorial: Coffee Sleeves

Okay, time for another tutorial! Still getting the hang of doing these, and I hope I don't confuse you with my explanations.... I prefer to think that I'm being helpful.  :-)

Lately, on my way to work, I have been stopping at the 7-11 on the corner, for a coffee (because the 2 cups I have before I leave the house is apparently not enough!). They have the cardboard sleeves to put on the cup so you don't burn your hand (in theory). Even with that sleeve on there, it's pretty hot, not to mention, wasteful, so I decided to try and make my own coffee sleeve. I've also been thinking of getting one of these travel mugs, so I can just make an extra cup at the house. Saves money, and I won't be buying another paper cup to throw in the trash. Anyway.... this is what I came up with:

Materials Needed

Cotton Fabric
Flannel (or coordinating cotton fabric)
Batting
Scissors
A cardboard sleeve to make your pattern from
Mark-B-Gone Marking Pen (or something similar)
Velcro
Sewing Machine, Thread, Pins
Iron




Take your cardboard sleeve and make your pattern... I made mine a bit larger, so it could be adjustable. :-)


Cut-out Pattern

After making and cutting out your pattern, iron your fabric and use your marking pen to trace the pattern onto your fabric.


The traced pattern is clearly visible on the flannel. I had to trace the pattern on the wrong side of my cotton fabric so I could see it. :-)

After cutting out your cotton fabric, flannel (or coordinating cotton fabric), and batting, line them up in this order: cotton fabric right side facing you, flannel (if using coordinating cotton fabric with a pattern, place is wrong side up, so the right sides of both pieces are facing each other), and batting on top.

Patterned fabric facing right side up, flannel, and batting


Next, pin all 3 layers together, and using your sewing machine, stitch around the edge, being sure to backstitch at the beginning and end, leaving at least a 2 inch opening at the bottom, curved edge.

Layers pinned together, ready to be sewn.




About a 2 inch opening at the bottom curved edge for turning.



Clip your corners, being careful not to cut into your stitches. Turn right side out, making sure to turn it out so the 2 outside layers are showing, and your batting is not. :-)

I am a visual person, so that's why I'm posting so many photos....Pictured above, making sure I'm separating the 2 outside fabrics before turning right side out.


After turning right side out, and making sure the corners are completely turned right side out (may need to give them a few extra pokes to get them there), iron your sleeve, and be sure to turn the opening under, as it will be closed when you topstitch around the edges.

Next step is to topstitch around the edges of your sleeve. I did a single line, but you could do a zig-zag, or whatever stitch you prefer. Make sure the topstitching closes your opening on the bottom curved edge, and backstitch at the beginning and end.

Topstitching


Topstitching done on both sleeves


Now it's time to add the velcro. I put the loopy, more itchy/pokey side of the velcro (sorry, I don't know how else to describe it!), on the right side of the sleeve, as pictured above. Cut a piece long enought to go the entire length of that edge, and stitch around the edges of the velcro, being sure to backstitch at the beginning and end.

Used blue velcro on my Autism coffee sleeve. Love how it looks. :-)





Now it's time to add the "softer" velcro. It needs to go on the opposite side AND end from the piece you just attached. You can see in the photo above, the stitching from the velcro attached on the side facing down. I added 2 pieces of this velcro, so there is room for adjustment, depending on the size of the cup you are using it for. Stitch around both pieces, with the pieces just barely overlapping. Be sure to backstitch at the begining and end.

2 pieces of blue velcro added to the Autism coffee sleeve.

2 pieces of white velcro added to the brown/circle coffee sleeve.



YAY! You've finished your coffee sleeve. Now it's time to brew a yummy cup of coffee, and put it to use. I hope, again, that I haven't confused you. If you have any questions about this tutorial, please don't hesitate to ask!
:-)


Autism sleeve on my 7-11 coffee cup. :-)




~ Thanks for stopping by! ~

Jaime

1 comment:

  1. I need to learn how to sew so that I can make these! lol

    ReplyDelete