Saturday, September 10, 2011

Day Five - Avoiding Foolishness







Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash. Matthew 7:24-27


I found a sermon that sums it up well. Most of us have heard all that Jesus had to say. How many of us really put it into practice? Do we think, oh that sounds nice and lovely, and leave it at that? Or do we really apply His message to our lives? When hard times come, when we are hit with a diagnosis that rocks our foundation, when a storm hits that we didn't anticipate, are we overwhelmed, find it hard to function, feel helpless and hopeless, or do we rely on our ROCK. Do we immediately run to Jesus? Do we cry out to him? Do we find a peace that passes all understanding in the arms of our Lord? The storms of life will blow. The rains will come and the streams will rise. Are we going to be like the foolish builder, or are we going to be like the wise builder that had a strong, firm foundation?

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. Psalms 14:1


The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10


The foolish man says there is no God. The wise man fears and obeys God. When you don't believe there is a God, it makes it easy to justify acts of disobedience. Foolish choices bring unpleasant consequences. The wise man has security in loving God and all the power of heaven on his side. (taken from the leader book)

It may not always be easy, but in the way you know best to communicate with your sons, show them the difference between foolish and wise. When Spencer is disobedient, I do my best to explain to him WHY it was wrong, and what he needs to do to change the behavior. Does it always work? No, but I can't stop trying. I know he understands most of what I say. Our son's hearts are at stake. We need to fight, to pray, every day. We need to do what we can to help them understand that foolishness always brings negative consequences, sooner or later.

How is everyone doing with the 21 days? I know it was probably hard to keep up daily with the start of school for some of you. I know I haven't been on time everyday with my posts. I feel like my kids have been starved for my attention lately. I work full-time, and when I get home there is another whole days worth of work waiting for me. :-) Thank you for being patient with me! I am praying for y'all daily, that God will give you the strength needed each day. I have extended the link up until Wednesday night, in the hopes that a few more may share their journey with us.

Pray the Avoiding Foolishness prayers over your sons. I hope you're reading the book and considering the study questions.

Blessings To You!

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment