Monday, September 12, 2011

Day Seven - Purity




Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure. I John 3:2-3


For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. I Thessalonians 4:7


Purity doesn't just happen, it takes planning. The heat of the moment isn't the time to plan on setting boundaries. Okay, most of our sons are probably not yet old enough to be worrying about these situations, but now is the time to prepare them. I'm no expert, and I feel like I've been thrown in the deep end of the pool some days, trying to figure out how to approach delicate subjects with Spencer. Will he understand what I'm talking about? Will it just confuse him? Will it make him more curious than he would be if I didn't bring it up? I do know that I can set an example for him, answer any questions he has, teach him to respect everyone, and try to help him figure out what "personal space" means. Each of our sons are different in their own special way, and will need to be approached in the way that works best for them.

Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Philippians 2:4


Think about this verse in regards to purity. Let's do our best to teach our sons that not only do we need to keep ourselves pure, we need to consider how our actions affect other's struggle to stay pure. How we dress, what we say, things we watch on TV, where we go, how we treat others. Empathy for your friends, for those around you, may help one of those friends stay within the boundaries of purity that they've set for themselves.

This was a tough one for me, because, as I said before, I don't quite know how to approach Spencer on this topic. I would welcome and appreciate any thoughts and/or suggestions. We are praying the Purity prayers over our sons today. Tomorrow's prayers will be the Servant's Heart prayers.

~ Love and Blessing to all of you ~

Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment