Sunday, December 11, 2011

Quick & Easy Gifts ~ Bird Seed Wreath

You'll also need cooking spray. : -)



I came across this tutorial on how to make a bird seed wreath. It looked so easy, that I had to try it! We have a bird feeder on our front patio, and birds are flitting about all the time. I made 2 of these about a month ago. I sent one to my Mom:


I mailed it, and miraculously, it made it from Texas to Maine in one piece!



The second one I put up in a tree at the edge of our driveway:




For the gelatin, I use 1 package of unflavored Knox Gelatine. This is a great project for the kiddos. My daughter and I made another one this afternoon, since our birdies have already devoured the first one. :-)

Materials Needed:

4 cups bird seed
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup warm water
3 Tbsp. corn syrup
1 package gelatin
cooking spray
bundt pan

Dissolve gelatin in warm water. Mix in corn syrup and flour. It makes a nice paste. :-) Add in bird seed, mix well. Put in bundt pan, and press down, smoothing out the top. Let set for 24 hours. Turn out onto a plate or paper towel. Let set another 1-2 days. Add a ribbon or twine, and hang up for all your birdie friends!


Whisking the water, gelatin, corn syrup and flour.






Mixing in the bird seed. : -)





Bundt pan sprayed with cooking spray.




Putting the mix into the pan. : -)




Smoothing out the bird seed mix with a spatula.



I discovered that a spatula worked much easier than a spoon to smooth out the top.



Let it set for 24 hours before removing from the pan.





What it looks like after 24 hours.




One more look of what it looks like after 3 days of drying.



This would make a great gift for any bird lover, and a great gift for the kids to make and give. Hands on time is 10-15 minutes. I hope you'll give it a try!

~ Jaime ~


Please come and join in the fun at these fabulous parties!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to make these with the boys! Thanks for sharing this great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to make this with my kids! I've feature this at today's Craftastic Monday as the Kids Can Craft "Pick of the Week". Stop by & grab a Featured On button. Thanks for linking up to the Kids Can Craft party:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your idea!Linked it to my blog.It was fun making with my kids.Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete