Thursday, December 8, 2011

Quick & Easy Gifts ~ Spiral Coasters

I thought I'd start doing a series of posts about Quick & Easy gifts. I find my inspiration in many places. Craft magazines, blogs, Pinterest, friends. Having a list of quick gifts to pick from is great for me, especially this time of year. We have stockings to fill, teacher's gifts to make, friends to send gifts to. How long is your list?

Today I'm posting about Spiral Coasters. I found a video on YouTube, posted by Crochet Geek, that showed how to make them. I wrote down the instructions as I watched the video.


I keep a basket of these coasters on our dining room table.


Materials Needed:

Size L crochet Hook - I find that the size made with the L hook is perfect for my small candles. I prefer a slightly larger coaster for our glasses and mugs. I found that with an N hook, I got what I was looking for.
Cotton Yarn - You'll be crocheting with 2 strands held together throughout.
Scissors/Needle for weaving in ends

Directions:

Holding 2 strands of yarn together, make a slip knot.
Chain 2.
6 Single Crochet in the first chain. [6sc]
2 Single Crochet in each Single Crochet. [12sc]
Place marker around last stitch made, so you'll know where each round begins, since you're not joining with a slip stitch at the end of each round.
2 Single Crochet in each Single Crochet. [24sc]
Single Crochet in each Single Crochet. [24sc]
Skip 1 stitch and slip stitch into the next stitch, to even out the round.
If you want to make a reverse Single Crochet edging, watch this video. It shows it better than I can explain it. :-) Basically, you're doing Single Crochet in reverse. It makes a great border.

It takes me about 10 minutes to make one of these coasters. The possibilities are almost endless, with the mix of cotton yarn out there to choose from! I know I would be thrilled if I received something like this as a gift. Anyone on your list that would feel the same??


The first 2 spiral coasters that I made.



These Christmas coasters were made with a variegated red/green/white yarn and a solid green yarn. Love how they turned out!



So many colors to choose from. :-)


So cozy! These make great candle coasters. :-)


I would love to know if you give these a try!

~ Jaime ~



Come join in the fun at these great parties!




Weekend Bloggy Reading

19 comments:

  1. thank you so much for your sweet comments on my blog! loving this project!! love the Christmas colored ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those coasters are adorable. I don't crochet but these really make me want to start.

    I found you through the What Allie's Making Now link up and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna, so glad you like them! :-)

    Kari, I'm a self-taught crocheter. I love how quickly you can make something using crochet. I am now your newest follower, too!

    I hope you both have a wonderful, blessed day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these! My daughter crochets so I'm going to have her make me some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment on my mug koozie!! I love this idea of yours as well!! I am a new follower!! :) Have a great weekend, can't wait to read more from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I can, I just know I'm going to end up making at least 10 of these! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute, going to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those coasters! Perfect little gift. You make it look easy, hope it is because I'm really a beginner at crochet. Merry Christmas, and yo may have just gotten another follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These really are easy! Welcome, new friends! I've discovered after making another set of these, that I reallllly like them, and have a hard time parting with them. ;-) Ah well, thank goodness they work up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm learning to crochet and these are on my list of things that I must do!
    I love how lush and soft they look and I featured them today! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! You've been featured on my blog today!! Thanks so much for linking up to Make Something Monday!

    http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/12/make-something-monday-link-party-41.html

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great quick gift idea. I have baskets galore around here. Thanks soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this pattern! It is so quick and easy, perfect for my restless hands and short attention span!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you. Very cute!! I will make these!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made three so far today, loving them! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've made three so far today, loving them! Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very new to crocheting, I've actually only made one afghan before coming across these little gems. I'm on my 4th one now, they are so easy and come out beautifully! Finally something I can make that is gift worthy! Haha! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very new to crocheting, I've actually only made one afghan before coming across these little gems. I'm on my 4th one now, they are so easy and come out beautifully! Finally something I can make that is gift worthy! Haha! Thank you so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete