Sunday, May 15, 2011

What's For Supper? Curry Chicken & Barley Grape Salad

It feels like it's been months since I've posted anything. Pretty close. 9 days. I started a new routine last Monday, and it threw me off, and then blogger was down......you get the picture. :-)

Last night, I made Curry Chicken (a fave), and Barley Grape Salad (new recipe). They were both delicious!

Curry Chicken & Barley Grape Salad



The Curry Chicken is very basic and simple to put together. Put chicken tenders in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, and then sprinkle curry powder on top of the chicken. We love curry around here, so I put LOTS of curry on the chicken. Cover and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes. I usually do 45 minutes because I'm weird about  making sure chicken is completely done. It is never dried out. Very tender.

I found the recipe for the Barley Grape Salad in Cuisine Lite's Fresh & Fabulous magazine. I discovered the magazine while waiting in the check-out line at Albertson's last week. There are so many yummy recipes in there.  I made a few slight changes, but not enough to notice any difference.

Ingredients for the Salad:

1 cup white grape juice
1 cup water
1 cup quick-cooking barley (I didn't have the quick kind, so I used regular barley)
Pinch of Kosher Salt (I didn't add this)
1 cup halved red grapes (I added 2 cups...we love red grapes)
1 cup fresh spinach (I added about 1/2 cup more)

Ingredients for the Vinaigrette:

1/3 cup white grape juice
1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. Dijon Mustard (I added 2 tsp.)
1 tsp. honey
1/8 tsp. kosher salt (I didn't add this)

Bring 1 cup grape juice and water to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid is mostly absorbed and barley is tender, 14-16 minutes. (I cooked mine about 45 minutes since it wasn't quick, and all of the liquid was absorbed when it was done...I recommend using a non-stick saucepan).

Drain and rinse the barley (I eliminated this step...there was nothing to drain). Combine barley with grapes and spinach in a large bowl (I put just the barley in the fridge for a bit to cool it down, and then combined).

Whisk together 1/3 cup grape juice, vinegar, Dijon, honey and 1/8 tsp. salt; pour over barley mixture and stir. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


This salad is going to become a regular at our house. : -)


~ Thanks for stopping by! ~

Jaime














2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this looks wonderfully tasty! Thanks for linking up to Savory Sundays!!

    ReplyDelete