Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Asparagus with Eggs & Parmesan

Veggies. Blech. Okay, as a child, I'm not sure how my mother put up with me. I was quiet, shy...easy to take care of that way, but I hated almost every vegetable (except green beans and carrots). It hasn't been until recently, that I've dared to branch out. My mind-set of them being nasty, disgusting "things" always kept me away from trying the veggies I detested as a child.

Branching out. Asparagus. Tiny green sticks that kind of resemble trees (not sure which kind). I don't recall ever eating them. Ever. I have discovered lately that I do like some vegetables I couldn't stand before. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes (nope, they'll never make the list), eggplant, avocado (veggie or fruit, veggie or fruit). I called my Mom one night, and she mentioned that she had made an Asparagus dish to go with dinner, and what follows is the recipe she came up with and shared with me. Yahooooo. I like Asparagus. :-)



Ingredients (black pepper is MIA)



Ingredients:


1 bunch Asparagus
Olive Oil
4 large eggs
Parmesan cheese
Black Pepper


What To Do:


Snap the ends off of the asparagus (my mom had to explain that as you bend them they will break off where they should).

The shorter ones have had the ends snapped off. : -)



Spread the asparagus on a cookie sheet or in a 13x9 inch baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil and roll them to coat completely.


Coated in Olive Oil



Bake at 425 degrees until crisp tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with black pepper, and crack 4 eggs over the top of the asparagus. Bake until the whites are set and the yolks reach desired doneness, about 10 minutes (I've found that 10 minutes is perfect). Remove from oven and top with parmesan cheese. This serves 4 as a side dish.


My first attempt at making this dish, and I broke the fourth yolk.



This is what happens when you cook the eggs too long (almost 15 minutes). The yolks were overdone and very tough.  :(





My second attempt, cooking the eggs for 10 minutes, they were perfect!




Topped with parmesan cheese. YUM!



Thanks Mom for sharing one more of your delicious recipes with me, and so glad I tried it! I hope you do as well. :-)

~ Thanks for stopping by! ~

Jaime


1 comment: